The principal of our school, who happens to be a masterful decorator, put up a gorgeous tree in the lobby. In order to prepare my end, the following needed to be created (attached docs coming soon):
- a list of items needed for each box
- labels with individual food/hygiene items
- about 500 die cut shapes (trees, circles, mittens)
- letter to send home with students
- a sign for the lobby ("Decorate the Giving Tree!")
I spent a week visiting all 24 classrooms to explain how the Giving Tree works:
- Every student must get permission from a parent/ guardian before participating.
- Students may take one or two blank, white ornaments from the tables in the lobby.
- Students decorate their blank ornament and bring it back along with the item(s) listed on the label.
- Students then hang their ornament on the tree and put their donation underneath.
In two weeks, staff members will come together and organize the donated food into 10-15 boxes, then deliver the boxes to families in our community. And as the tree fills up with ornaments, the school can clearly see just how generously we can share!